Vibrant, modern, and drenched in history from centuries as a gateway to China, this garden city of two million is a hidden gem. When the author, Robert Barge, arrived in Xiamen to take up an engineering position, he was expecting a typical gray Chinese city; instead, what he found left such an impression that he was inspired to write this book, the first guide dedicated exclusively to Xiamen.
Explore Xiamen’s temples, markets, and old alleyways; stroll through gardens and traverse waterfront boardwalks; hike hills of subtropical forest for sweeping island views, and as night falls sample the street food around Zhongshan Road or watch the sunset over the mainland from seaside Haiwan Park; take a short ferry ride to Xiamen’s crown jewel, the car-free island of Kulangsu (Gulangyu), now a UNESCO World Heritage site, with its beautiful colonial buildings and eccentric museums, and step back in time to the treaty port days when Xiamen was known to the world as Amoy.
Camphor Press’ Xiamen City Guide covers all the top attractions, and much more; by going into detail that the big China guides can’t, it takes travellers off the tourist trail to experience the color and life tucked away from the bright lights of the major tourist spots. The guide gives informative and honest advice on what to see – and what might not be worth seeing – and has tips on avoiding the crowds in what is a hugely popular destination for domestic Chinese tourists. It reveals whole neighborhoods hitherto ignored by other travel guides. With detailed sections on getting there and away, public transport, visa requirements and helpful Chinese phrases, the guide has the practical information covered. The Xiamen City Guide will save you time, stress, and money.
Features of the guide:
- Detailed neighborhood maps
- Sample itineraries
- Up-to-date information (recent changes to transportation and visas have made pre-2016 guides obsolete)
- Easily assessed information – the guide is made to be used on the road, with embedded websites links, phone numbers, and addresses in Chinese that you can show a taxi driver or passer-by
- Dining and accommodation suggestions for all budgets
- E-book is designed for iPads and smartphones as well as Kindles
- Paperback includes full-color photos and maps